Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sx3 (San Francisco, Santa Cruz & Sacramento).

It's been a little while since my last blog, due to an extreme lethargy and sleepiness that enveloped me last week. I am thinking that I might have a vitamin deficiency, despite taking a multi-vitamin tablet every day...either that, or I just got really lazy.

So let me rewind a week and start at Memorial Weekend. I love long weekends, and this one coincided with bank holiday in England, so most people I know had an extra day of fun in the sun. Yippeeee!

Saturday was perfect beach weather, so with a Mr Pickle's sandwich in hand, and Journey playing on the radio, we hit the road and headed to Santa Cruz.


As well as being home to The Lost Boys, Santa Cruz is also the place to go for a mean fish & chips. So after skipping the boardwalk in favour of laying on the beach all day (and listening to the insignificant ramblings of a gaggle of girls sat nearby) we had worked up enough of an appetite to walk to the end of the pier and pick up a delicious dindins in honour of my homeland. It was yummy, and I liked how the batter was spicey and the fish was sliced into bite-sized pieces.

No trip to SC would be complete without the dipping of one's toes in the ocean either...


My desire to spend a whole day laying in the sand, soaking up the sunshine was satisfied, and we left happy, and with a set of photobooth pics to remember the day...


Sunday we were up bright and early for another trip, this time up to the capital of California for 'Sacramento Swing Time'.

Of course, we could not start our Sunday without a meeting of Team Brunch. This time we went to Pork Store in the Mission, and feasted on eggs and waffles so as to keep us all going on our journey to Sac-Town.


The event was held at an automotive museum, filled with classic cars. There was also a classic car show outside, where it was hot, hot, HOT! I was grateful for the 29c weather, as it finally provided me with the opportunity to get some use out of my play suit!


The musical highlights for me, were: Big Sandy and his Fly Rite Boys, Stompy Jones and Andy Santana. A whole day of fast-paced dancing in the heat made it feel hotter than hell and helped me on my way to looking like a drowned rat...but, it was FUN!

There was also a pin-up contest, which I have to say, was disappointing. Apart from the fact that none of the girls really looked or dressed like pin-ups (er, sorry...) the way the actual competition was conducted, was disorganised to say the least, with some girls getting more opportunity to chat-up the crowd, and others only getting a brief introduction. It all went horribly wrong though, when the third prize went to the most obnoxious, loud-mouthed trollop, who had an ego the size of a small continent. Bad move, judges, bad move - you should have picked the nice girl with the Jackie O. gloves and hat.

Obviously, I can't go without mentioning the food at the event - $1 tacos (score!) and ice cream. I don't think a cone of mint-choc-chip has ever tasted so delicious, than after a day spent working up a sweat on the dance floor. Oh, and then, of course, on the drive home...



Monday brunch was possibly one of the most frustrating brunch experiences ever, with a super long wait for a table, followed by slow service and mediocre (at best) food. St Francis Fountain, I used to love you, but honestly, based on my last two visits, you have gone down in my estimation (although your milkshakes would still bring me to the yard). Sigh.

El Rio hosted a day of music and mayhem on their back patio, with headliners Red Meat making a lasting impression on me. They. Were. Awesome. Their rendition of Wanda Jackson's Funnel of Love was particularly enjoyable to me.


The only other comments I could make about this day of bands and bbq is: dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment