Thursday, June 24, 2010

Next plane to London...

Yes, let it be known, that I have now joined the ranks of being that person who is given no choice but to open up her suitcase in the middle of the airport, in front of everyone at the check-in line, to remove items due to exceeding the luggage weight restrictions.

Sigh.

Having queued in a ridiculous line for an hour just to check my bag, hearing that my suitcase - bursting at the seams - was 7lbs over the weight limit, was not something I was prepared for. Plus the fee for a fat bag is $150. So with little time to spare, I took my suitcase to the side, and proceeded to umm and ahh over which pieces of clothing I was least attached to. Talk about airing my dirty laundry in public...


After my initial panic, I chucked a few basic items in the bin, but decided I could not part with most of my stuff, so began layering up my clothes, like a snowman. To say that my mismatched layers of clothing felt rather warm is an understatement - to say that said 'outfit' made me look slightly retarded, is not. Even so, when boarding the plane, I was complimented on my "eclectic style" by one of the other passengers...

So the rest of my flight pretty much cancelled out all of the good karma that I had with upgrades at the beginning of my trip. The entertainment system and tv screen for my seat did not work (yes, that's 10 hours without movies), they had run out of meal choices by the time they got to me, (which I suppose is incidental, given that even if I had been able to have something other than chicken, all the options would have been pretty crappy anyway), and the turbulence was really bad - thanks a lot, United Airlines. I couldn't help but think that this journey was a sign that I should have stayed in San Francisco...


Once back in Blighty, getting on the Underground with my luggage in tow, it felt like I had never been away. I was eager to get home quickly to catch the England vs. Slovenia football match, so I fit right back in with the rush, rush, hurry, hurry mentality on the Tube. When I made it back to sunny Kilburn I took a cab home, and got to hear England's winning goal on my cabbie's radio...

No comments:

Post a Comment