Thursday, June 24, 2010

From cars to feets - Mission Streets!

Having spent the final Saturday of my US adventure driving out of town and admiring cars, Sunday afternoon was spent reclaiming the roads with fellow pedestrians at the Mission Streets event.

Before that though, one half of Team Brunch (the other half were out of town) decided to honour our Sunday tradition and eat. This time we stayed within two blocks of my sublet and tried out Andalu. I had never been there before, and whenever I passed it, I always had the feeling it was overpriced and probably mediocre in food deliciousness.

Well, I am happy to report that this was not the case! I had, what was probably one of my favourite brunch meals of the trip - crab cakes benedict with polenta fries, spinach salad and fruit. Oh, and a mimosa, served the way it should be - in a champagne flute!


I have never really been a fan of polenta, and to be honest I can probably count the amount of times I have tried it on one hand. However, these fries were really yummy, and as a bonus, their half moon shape could bring a smile to anyone's face...


Now as if this wasn't enough to make me want to come back, not only were the prices good (brunch plates all $10 and under and champagne cocktails under $5) and the music amazing (soul classics), but they bring you out a bowl of warm, fluffy, cinnamon doughnut holes whilst you wait for your food to be served. Andalu, for this you have won my heart, and I will be back to visit you (and use those complimentary coupons for 2 free mimosas that you gave us) again!


From Andalu, we headed down Valencia for 'walk in the street' day....and walked in the street.

There is something quite novel about being able to roam free when roads are closed off, however the novelty wears off pretty quickly, especially when there is nothing to actually see apart from crowds of people walking or riding their bicycles all over the place.




I have seen plenty of streets closed off for events or carnivals, but when there is nothing actually going on, it is a little less exciting.

The main highlight for me was stumbling upon a group of people dancing to a stereo outside someone's house - now, dancing in the streets is what I call fun!


What's even more fun, is dancing in the streets to the sounds of MJ and then wondering off to eat delicious, creamy bourbon and cornflake Humphry Slocombe ice cream...and then returning to dance to 'Footloose' and 'Dancing in the Street'...

No comments:

Post a Comment