Sunday, May 29, 2011

Slim in the square.

Last Wednesday the summer dance and concert series 'Swing in the Square' kicked off in Union Square with a live performance by local voodoo jump blues band, Slim Jenkins.

Running from May through to September, the fourth wednesday of each month will feature live music, a dj and a dance lesson from 6-8pm, courtesy of Jewels in the Square & A-Town Agency.


Having been to Lindy in the Square last September, and as an avid fan of al fresco dancing, when Wednesday came around and brought with it rain and grey skies, I was rather disappointed. Thankfully though, the weather picked up in the afternoon, and whilst it wasn't a particularly summery day, it was nice enough (and dry enough) to spend time outdoors.




Skipping the lesson, we showed up at 7pm, minutes before Slim Jenkins took to the stage. There was a huge crowd of dancers and spectators and a fun atmosphere.


Having been at some of Slim Jenkins' first shows last year, it is amazing to see how far they have come in such a short space of time - both in their music, and also the size and frequency of the shows they are playing. They have a unique sound, are fun to dance to, and clearly love performing.




The band kept their audience captivated, sounded great and looked sharp. I was surprised how clear they sounded given that it was an outdoor show with a lot of traffic and noise in the surrounding area.

I particularly like their version of the song 'Bacon Fat' - super fun tune and makes me giggle!

We danced to nearly every song they played, but I have to admit that dancing on concrete in plimsoles is not my favourite way to get down. It's hard to spin when neither your shoes nor the floor have slide, and by the end of the show my legs felt pretty heavy. Next time I would definitely go along in a more smooth-soled pair of shoes, to ensure ease in gliding across the surface.


So after a super fun, free live musical performance, and an opportunity to dance outdoors, we took it up the road and indoors to Le Colonial, for some more live music and dancing, this time to the musical stylings of The Cosmo Alleycats.


As one of Le Colonial's resident bands, The Cosmo Alleycats play in the bar area of this venue every Wednesday, and it is free to go along and dance. The band play a host of danceable classics, and are definitely worth checking out.








Alas by the time we got to Le Colonial, my legs already felt like they had been set in concrete, (and to add to that, I was feeling pretty hungry) so I didn't dance too much more, but still enjoyed chatting to friends, with the odd foray onto the dance floor.


When we left, I had a sudden craving for mac'n'cheese, and whilst this is a dish I am good at making from scratch, I was super happy to head to Safeway and buy two boxes of the bright orange Kraft variety for $1 each. This is the easiest thing to make at 11pm, and there is something really decadent, and from my perspective, American, about indulging in such a classic, lazy, two-step meal.


As soon as the first forkful reached my mouth, I knew I had made the right choice - it was exactly what I needed, and with the addition of some pepper, tabasco, pickled jalapenos, and mustard, it was deeeeeeeeeeeeeelish.

No comments:

Post a Comment