Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hi-Rhythm Send-Off!

Last Friday, friends, fans and dancers poured into Verdi Club for the Hi-Rhythm Hustlers' final Bay Area show.












After three years, the band is calling it a day, with their last show taking place at the Ink & Iron weekender in Long Beach next month.

I have really enjoyed their shows, and am sad that they will no longer be hustling their hi rhythms across town, but as finales go, they went out with a bang!


Luckily, my snap-happy fiancé was on hand to capture the night's events, taking over 200 shots, so I have lots of photos to share...




















The band played two sets, with DJ Okie Oran spinning the platters that matter during the band breaks. As well as guest appearances from members of Stompy Jones during the second set, the Hustlers were also joined by the 'Hustler-ettes', who shimmied their fishnetted, betassled bums across the stage and amongst the audience throughout the evening.
















The guys were clearly having a blast up on stage and kept the crowd on the dance floor all night - me included! I had so many fab dances and enjoyed spinning around the room in my new wedges that I purchased the previous day (and had been lusting after for quite some time before I finally bit the bullet and bought them).






A conga line weaved its way through the room when they played Jump in The Line (Shake Senora) - so I jumped in line!




This was a truly fun Friday night, and it was great to see everyone dressed to the nines and enjoying themselves. It's been awesome having the Hi-Rhythm Hustlers as part of the Bay Area's rockabilly and swing dance scene, and I'm sure everyone will miss seeing them play.












I wish you guys well in all future endeavours!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the kind words and photo memories. I feel like this chapter of my life closes on a bittersweet note but I promise you have not heard the last of me.
    I love and appreciate you both for being such great friends and followers of the band.

    ~Raúl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I couldn't let HRH's Verdi finale go undocumented! I had an absolute blast on Friday, and am so glad I was in town to catch this show!!! I shall look forward to future musical projects... Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance to get their album? Rockin regards from Germany
    neon_neutron@yahoo.de

    ReplyDelete