Friday, July 8, 2011

F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E.

Oh my goodness - WOW! Last Sunday, the gig that I have been highly anticipating for nearly a year finally came around, and boy was it worth waiting for....


Pulp took to the stage at this year's Wireless festival in Hyde Park, after an 8 year hiatus, playing what was their first London show in 15 years. They opened the show by asking 'Do you remember the first time?' (splashed across the stage curtain in big computerized letters) getting the crowd all riled up before launching into the song.


I do remember the first time, when I saw Pulp play the Reading Festival - back in August 2000, ironically. I was 17 years old back then, and now that we are all meeting up in the year 2011, I am fully grown, and Jarvis....well Jarvis looks exactly the same as he did 11 years ago! The sounds of Disco 2000 got the audience jumping around like teenagers, and of course, Jarvis also busted out his signature moves...








Every song they played seemed to make the crowd both nostalgic and extremely invigorated. This band has been missed, and frankly, everyone at this gig had years of pent-up excitement, appreciation, pogo-ing and a f.e.e.l.i.n.g. c.a.l.l.e.d. l.o.v.e for Pulp to unleash.










They played Pink Glove and Underwear, which are two of my favourite Pulp songs, and with a varied selection of tunes and hits from across their albums, I thought the whole set list was bloody marvelous!


I loved every minute of the show, and the atmosphere was fantastic - everyone was singing along to every song, Jarvis was chit-chatting with the crowd, the band sounded great, and as the sun set, the stage lighting was immense. For such a big gig, with thousands of people in attendance, it felt strangely intimate. I think this was because everyone in the audience was a huge Pulp fan and really wanted to be there, which created a sense of camaraderie.










The explosions of ticker tape and streamers over the crowd throughout the show were the icing on the cake, making for an even more spectacular sight, and an even bigger celebration. As Jarvis shot a cannon of confetti over his smiling audience, he joked that Christmas had just come early - and after being at that gig, I think it just might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment