Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hula Hot Club Boogie!

After months of anticipation, January finally heralded the night I've been waiting impatiently for - Hula Boogie's 10th anniversary celebration!  Boy was it worth waiting for!!!


With a full house and enough Jive bars to feed an army, Miss Aloha was ready to host the best party in town - with Ray Collins' Hot-Club, Big Jay McNeely and Sister Cookie taking to the stage...

Mama Aloha handing out the Jive bars!

Photo by Tony Nylons

Rev Boogie and Aaron looking dapper!

Red hair, red lips!
 
 A full house!

All dolled up for the night!

It's taken me a couple of weeks to write this post, as frankly, I just don't know where to begin!  The atmosphere was electric, and the opportunity to see such talented musicians all on one bill in such an intimate venue, was just awesome.

The lovely Miss Aloha!

Ray Collins' Hot-Club played two sets, with house DJ the Reverend Boogie along with Pat da Kat spinning tracks in between.  During the first set, the legend that is Big Jay McNeely parted the crowd and took to the stage, proving that he is very much the King of the honking sax!  The crowd went wild, and he played a few of his songs, including the classic Nervous Man Nervous, which has been playing in my head ever since that night...


To put things in perspective, Big Jay is EIGHTY-FIVE years old!!!  If you consider that he has been making music since the 1940s, and is still globe-trotting, showcasing his rhythm and blues talent to audiences in nightclubs across the world (he went on to play Paris following this gig) - the man is a total superstar, and I hope that I still have as much oomph as him when I'm an octogenarian!


During the second set, London's very own Sister Cookie joined the band - and owned the crowd.  The moment that she opened her mouth and the first note came out, you could feel the whole audience take a step back with a deep intake of breath - this lady has a powerful, soulful voice, and she knows how to use it!  It was almost impossible not to exclaim 'Sing it girl!  YEAH!' which I'm sure I heard coming from loverboy's direction - and yes this does sound better when pronounced with an American accent...

Sister Cookie is definitely one to watch, and I shall look forward to seeing her at more gigs in the future.


Of course, Ray Collins' Hot-Club are one of the best live bands around, and whilst I initially felt a little sad that there was no space to dance (because their music is just so damn fun to dance to), I actually really enjoyed being right up front, singing along, and watching them do their thing, as they have such a brilliant and infectious energy.  Apart from being top class musicians, they are also very entertaining to watch, and clearly love performing.  How many members of Ray Collins' Hot-Club can you squeeze onto South London Pacific's tiny stage, I hear you ask?  All of them!!!!!


The last time I saw them play was back in 2010 at the Verdi Club in San Francisco - luckily, I won't have to wait that long to see them again, as it has been announced that they will be playing the Rhythm Riot this year!  You can also catch them at Hep Cat's Holiday next month.


This was, without a doubt, the best night out that I've had this year, so far - happy birthday Hula Boogie, and here's to many more!!!!


Check out Hula Boogie's 9th birthday celebration which featured another excellent German band...

15 comments:

  1. Looks like a blast and you look fantastic! We sadly have not managed to make it back to South London Pacific on one of our trips in ages :( Super excited to see you mention the Rhythm Riot since we are going for the first time this year! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! The Rhythm Riot is a lot of fun - hopefully I will get to meet you in person! :)

      Delete
  2. wow, this looks like you spent a great evening there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun evening, a really excellent night out!

      Delete
  3. This seems to be a crazy night!!!
    Living in a huge city can have some good points like many interesting concerts....
    We are planing to see Ray Collins in May near home but we will have VLV before, yeah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! We are definitely spoilt for choice here in London....but roll on Little Richard at Viva!!!

      Delete
  4. That looks like such a blast! I hope you are bringing that dress to VLV16!

    HRF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun night out, I really enjoyed myself! I wont be bringing this dress to VLV, but I do have another gold number that my husband bought me for Christmas, which I have been saving to wear in Vegas! ;)

      Delete
  5. Your dress is the BOMB! Is it Bettie Page?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holysmokes you look amazing in that dress!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harlow! I love it - it's so comfortable and very flattering!

      Delete
  7. That gold dress is flat out stunning! Oh my word, I really don't think I've ever seen gold look better on anyone, anywhere before. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Jessica, you are making me blush!!! What a generous compliment - thank you so much, you sweetheart you! <3

      Delete