Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Strictly bubbles on a chilly night...

Last week, loverboy and I were taken out for dinner and drinks on a chilly London evening.

We started out at the champagne bar in St Pancras station, which I have been keen to visit ever since it opened.  Right in the middle of the top level of the station, this open plan bar is amidst the hustle and bustle of the arriving and departing Eurostar trains.  The station itself is so grand and beautiful, that it a pleasure to sip a glass of bubbly, as you people-watch in such a magnificent setting.


One thing though - on an evening that saw the thermometer drop into the minus figures, it was not the warmest place to sit!


After a bottle of bubbly, we headed to Caravan - the sister restaurant to the one in Exmouth Market, with modern interiors and a full house of customers.  The walk to the restaurant was pretty, with lots of twinkling snowflake lights in the trees along the way.


The food was delicious.  If you are a fan of small plates, where you can try a little bit of everything and share with everyone at your table (which I most definitely am) then this is an ideal place to visit.  We sampled dishes such as jalapeno corn bread, sea bass ceviche, tofu tempura (omg amazing), pork in hoisin sauce, wagyu beef with wasabi peas (omg amazing)...and the list continues.


Alas we did not take many photos, because we were too busy eating!  This was the best meal I have eaten at a restaurant in a long time.  I plan to go back for the brunch, as one of the items on the menu is chicken and waffles, which you don't tend to see much, outside of the USA.

With our tummies full, we headed back to Kings Cross St Pancras station, and as we were walking along, Aaron spotted Louis Smith!

For my overseas readers that may not know, Louis Smith is a British gymnast, and Olympian who won medals at this year's London Games, as well as the Beijing Olympics.  He is also a contestant on this year's Strictly Come Dancing - of which I am an avid fan.  So, of course, I had to go and say hi....


He was very gracious, and indulged us in taking a couple of photos, despite the fact that he was probably knackered what with all that Strictly training.  We all had a little natter with him and it really made a great end to a great night!

8 comments:

  1. Leave it to me to focus entirely on the food but it looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect evening! I love celebrity spotting, but I'm always too starstruck to talk to them, it's nice to know Louis Smith is gracious;)

    Ruby xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a fun night out! I don't always pester famous people when I see them, but this time (and being fuelled by many glasses of bubbly) I just HAD to go and say hi, as I loved watching him during the Olympics, and love watching him on Strictly! :) xx

      Delete
  3. What an absolutely wonderful (and delicious!) sounding evening. I really like your outfit here, dear gal. From the beautiful red nails to the fur top boots, you're a vision of cold weather style and loveliness.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being such a sweetheart, Jessica! The food was indeed, very delicious...as was the champers! ;) xx

      Delete
  4. Everything looks so lovely, I love those Christmas lights! Your hair looks so good despite the cold weather and having to wear a hat, how do you manage it? I have been thinking of maybe going to Russia in winter next year but one of the things that's turning me off going is the thought of there being a lot of bad hair days on account of the cold and having to wear hats :P You make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you!!! I can't even imagine how cold Russia must be in the winter...yikes! But think of all the cute furry hats you would get to wear! :)

      Delete