Monday, November 26, 2012

KERB your appetite

I hope that all of my American friends had a lovely Thanksgiving!  The hubs and I went out for our Thanksgiving meal - well, I say it was a Thanksgiving meal, but really it was just us going out for dinner on an evening that happened to coincide with this US holiday...

We headed to KERB, a street food market under the West Handyside Canopy in King’s Cross.  The path leading from the station to the market has lots of pretty colourful lights, water features and a giant neon birdcage, so it's quite a nice area to wander around - when the weather is nice!

 
 

We battled the windy weather (note the windswept look in all of my photos!) to get to this food truck extravaganza after work, and in homage to America, we chowed down on burgers, buttermilk fried chicken, mac'n'cheese and tacos!


With a selection of various types of food, I thought it best that we avoid any possible food envy, and share a selection of foods from various vendors - because as we all know, sharing is caring!

We started off with a kimchi cheese burger from Kimchi Cult (and by starting off, I mean after I slurped down a mulled wine) which sounds a bit wrong (fermented cabbage on a cheese burger?  Really?) but was oh so right.  The patty was big, flat and juicy, piled high with kimchi and encased in an unassuming bread bun.  It was big enough to share, but small enough that split between two, we still had enough room to munch forth and sample more snacks.


Next up we headed to Anna Mae's for a portion of mac'n'cheese.  This was our second time eating at Anna Mae's, and whilst I refrained from judgement the first time, this time I have to come out and say it: I just don't get the hype.  A mediocre, luke-warm, stingy portion of pasta for £5?  Come on, if you can buy burgers from the other vendors for that same price, then they could at least fill the little bowl up to the top with macaroni....just an observation.  That said, they do have one of the coolest looking trucks...


The pièce de résistance came in the form of buttermilk fried chicken taco's, Tennessee-style (we were informed) from Ambriento.  This was the first time I have ever encountered fried chicken and guacamole tacos, but they were effing delicious!  They got the thumbs up from us both, and the hubs even felt compelled to go back and give them props - credit where credit is due, they were super yummy and fairly priced to boot (two big tacos stuffed full of chicken, salsa, guacamole and chipotle aioli for £5  - perfect for our sharing mission)!


By this point I was feeling pretty full, but our eyes were drawn to the beautiful sweet treats at Poppy's Kitchen.  Such pretty little perfectly formed pâtisseries!  We couldn't resist getting dessert to take home and share, and chose the figgy panna cotta atop a perfectly crisp and buttery pastry base.  It was just as delicious to taste as it was to look at.


We headed home with our bellies full.  I am thankful to have such a wonderful, loving husband....who loves food as much as I do!  I am also thankful that I don't have to listen to the loud, thumping, crappy music that was playing at the market anymore.  Seriously, it was a lovely evening out, but the music sucked and was so obnoxiously loud (have I turned into a granny?) that it made it difficult to have a proper conversation - although, I suppose, who needs to talk when you could be shovelling yummy food into your gob?

 

The KERB street food market is open for lunch in Kings Cross during the week, with a new Thursday market operating outside the Gherkin now too.  This Kerb Your Enfoodiasm winter party evening market was a special event, but I believe there will be another one next month.

2 comments: