Friday, July 6, 2012

Well rested in Seattle...

The next leg of our trip was spent in Seattle.  I had never been before, but as loverboy's sister lives there, he has visited numerous times.

Our week in Seattle was mostly about spending time with family, and celebrating my sister-in-law's wedding, however, we also did some sight-seeing, antique mall shopping (surprise, surprise!) and I managed to pretty much eat my body weight in chips and salsa!


As with Portland, we totally lucked out with the weather.  Both cities are famed for their rain (which is why they're so green!) but as fate would have it, we had sunshine and blue skies the whole time we were there, bar one drizzly day.


I got to meet Aaron's nephews for the first time - and despite much protestation on my part, my name to them is now officially 'Aunty Mel'.  I wanted to be the cool aunt, who simply goes by 'Mel', but alas, it was not meant to be...regardless, I love these new nephews of mine!


On our first day of sightseeing we visited Pike's Place Market where we saw a street busker hula hooping, whilst playing a guitar and balancing a second guitar on his chin, all the whilst, spinning around!  Amazing!


We also ate the best mac'n'cheese ever at Beecher's Hand Made Cheese shop.  Holy cheese balls, this was the cheesiest, most delicious macaroni cheese that I have ever eaten!  You also get to see them making the cheese instore, and there are lots of different types to sample and buy.  Yum, I am drooling just thinking about it (did I mention that I love cheese?)...


We visited the iconic Space Needle (although we didn't go up) and the surrounding area, which features the Experience Music Project Museum (very cool architecture), a big water feature, and a Chihuly exhibit - which we photographed from over the fence, as it cost a whopping $33 each to get in!


Keen to dance, we went to the beautiful Century Ballroom for a night of lindy hopping.  The music was a little too jingly-jangly for my liking, but that's coming from someone who prefers shaking a tail feather to rock'n'roll, r&b and jump blues.  Regardless, we had a fun time in a gorgeous setting, and even snuck in a yummy cocktail with friends at the Tin Table across the hall from the ballroom.


The wedding was held on Bremerton peninsula, and we took the ferry over.  It takes around an hour, perhaps a little longer, and features gorgeous views.  Going over was a little grey (the one drizzly day) but coming back was blue skies all the way.


On the morning of the wedding, Aaron and I checked out the local - you guessed it - antique mall, before getting ready for the big event.  It rained for a couple of hours in the afternoon, but just like magic, the sunshine came out just in time for the wedding, which was lovely.

 

The beautiful bride and dashing groom really are the most perfect, sweet couple ever, and I wish them a long and wonderful life together, with all the happiness in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment