Monday, March 4, 2013

On Broadway

Last weekend's adventures started off in East London (again!) at Broadway Market in Hackney.

This market is basically foodie heaven, with many stalls selling a wide variety of yummy edibles.  It's so tempting to try a little bit of everything, as it all looks so inviting - however, I refrained from overdoing it, as we are now just over three weeks away from Viva Las Vegas, and the thought of the pool party is firmly in the forefront of my mind...


As well as food, you can also pick up some beautiful flowers at the market, and there are a few stalls selling vintage clothing.  Off from the main market, there is another little mini-market in a nearby school yard, selling records, jewellery and beautiful mid-century furniture.  Regrettably, I did not take any snaps of the furniture, as the majority of my brain power was focusing on what to eat for lunch!


In the end, I chose to feast on a delicious pork banh mi baguette, followed by a decadent slice of toffee pecan cheesecake, which loverboy and I shared.  The Vietnamese sandwich was pretty good, but the cheesecake was off the charts on the delicious-o-meter!


The market was crowded, and considering it was a chilly day, you can only imagine that it gets packed in the summer months.  The last time I visited Broadway Market was years ago, so it was really nice to revisit it again, and was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.


All that walking around left us all feeling rather chilly, so we decided that coffee was in order.  All the local coffee shops were heaving with people, so we jumped on a bus and headed to Tina, We Salute You in Dalston.  A minimalist little cafe, with a wall covered in names, and lattes served in glasses, just how I like them.


A fun afternoon spent with friends, exploring different parts of London is always good in my book...I just can't wait until the weather gets warmer so that these outings are a little bit more comfortable!

After a few hours warming up at home, loverboy and I headed over to Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes for the Rock a Hula Revival on Saturday night.  DJs El Nino and Lady Kamikaze kept the vinyl spinning in between sets from Tony Diavolo's All Star Killers.  Guest performers on the night included Dollar Bill, Paul Ansell, Pat Reyford, Carlos Bandido, Sister Cookie and Jake Allen, to name just a few.


The show was sold out - luckily we bought our tickets in advance, although we still had to wait in line for around 20 minutes to get in!

The musicians were great, and I was pleased that the dance floor cleared enough for people to dance after the band finished.


All this music and dancing has now gotten me even more excited for Viva....I can'ttttttt waittttttttt!

12 comments:

  1. I love markets! They are really popular in Southern California. Northern Nevada not so much. I must say that I want your husband's bowling sweater. It is wonderful! You two make a cute couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariela! I want his sweater too hahaha! :) I also love markets - luckily we have a lot of them in London. Some are better than others, but it's fun to explore them all!

      Delete
  2. I want to see loads of picture of Viva, I've never been! :(
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sure to post a loooooooong blog about Viva! It will be my third one, and I might be even more excited about this year than the previous two years that I attended! :) You should try and go sometime!!! xx

      Delete
  3. A whole table full of cheesecake?! I would be in heaven! Wish I could have been there at the rock a hula revival to see Carlos. What a fabulous Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe! The cheesecake was so delicious, and somehow tastes even better when you are sharing it with someone! ;)

      Delete
  4. Erin's bowling sweater is so darned cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! It's perfect for this weather as it is lined and super warm!

      Delete
  5. It looks like you guys had a nippy, but thoroughly enjoyable outing. That cheesecake sounds heavenly!

    The orchids in your hair in the last second series of snaps are so, so immensely pretty!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooo good Jessica! I don't eat cheesecake often, but when I do I always wonder why I don't eat it more often!

      Thank you - I love the orchids too - one of my favourite flowers! xxx

      Delete
  6. THAT BOWLING SWEATER, OMG. I die! I am dead! WHAT A SWEATER! All the outing pictures look like a ton of fun, and have made me hungry, to boot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhahahah! The bowling sweater seems to be the star of the show! :) I must admit, I want one myself too! x

      Delete